View Single Post
Old Sat Nov 05, 2005, 04:44pm
Official Forum Member

Red face

I may be a newbee compared to you, of that you are correct, but with names like Cat Hopperman & A. Hopperwell, don't you think you guys should once & for all put a stop to the hop(leap) & call it???

Quote:
Originally posted by bkbjones
Nicely put, Tom. I had thought of something else that wasn't NEARLY as nice.

There was quite a discussion of this whole thing with some of the folks involved in the WCWS over the past 2-3 years. I'm not a name dropper and I'm certainly not going to speak for them. However, I would encourage Nubie (and others) to pick the brains of some of these umpires.

For what it's worth, you can learn A LOT sitting around "out back" talking about plays, calls, etc. with other umpires, especially respected veterans who work at higher levels.

The game you improve may be your own!

Quote:
Originally posted by Dakota
Welcome to the board, but your post is certainly living up to your moniker.

Ex-players are generally among the worst in rules understanding and interpretation.

And, you know Cat is illegal how? Were you present in the rules clinics for umpires given by NCAA? Were you present when clarifications or other instructions were given to UICs or NCAA tournament umpires?

Games are called in real time, not with still photography or slow motion video.

There is no question that Cat's feet become airborne at times, and that sometimes she replants. The question is, is this illegal according to the NCAA? (Not according to a static reading of the book, but according to the book as interpreted by the NCAA clinicians, UICs, etc.)

BTW, you "nickname" for Cat demonstrates your bias. How is the weather in California?