View Single Post
Old Wed Nov 02, 2005, 11:01am
In Memoriam

Re: I still disagree.

Quote:
Originally posted by rwest
In my example, which was not exactly the same as 8.6.1, the table informs the officials that the team was in a 1-and-1. The officials did not notice the mistake on their own. Also, in my case play no one attempted a rebound. Everyone thought there would be 2 shots taken. Why, because the officials awarded 2 shots to the shooter. You can call this "Errorneous Information", but its still an error by the official. That's what correctable errors are.

Awarding free-throws is not the same as taken free-throws. Officials award free-throws to players. Players shoot free-throws. When in my example did the error occur? When the offical awarded two free-throws instead of 1-and-1. The effect of the error is that no one attempted a rebound. This was not the error, but the result.

Also, POI is used to put the ball back into play in my example. If this is not POI, what would you call it?

I guess where we differ is in the interpretation of "award".

Very simple question.....

What unmerited free throw was taken in your situation?

You cannot apply a rule correcting an unmerited free throw that was taken to a situation that never actually happened.

Again, there NEVER was an UNMERITED free throw taken. You can't correct something that never happened. That's why you can't apply R2-10-1(b), or any other part of 2-10-1 for that matter. It's that simple.