View Single Post
Old Fri Oct 28, 2005, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Ohioref3
Can anyone recomend a real good patent leather basketball shoe?
No. No one can. Because there aren't any. They all look like plastic. Blech. JMO.
Aww, did someone get up on the wrong side of the bed this morning?

I had been using the Converse Runnin' Refs since they came out several years ago, and when they came out with the patent leather version I was amazed at how much lighter they were. I guess the original Runnin' Refs were a heavier shoe to begin with, and the conversion to the plastic, er, patent made them a lot lighter and nicer, at least IMO. I always thought they looked good on other refs (only because it would take a lot more than that to make ME look good...). I got the OC patents this year because I like the 3/4 version; I hope I don't have the same experience that Ref-X had. I've used them at a couple of scrimmages without any issues so far, but if I need to change I would probably go with the Reebok's as well.

We all try to look our best - we try to make sure our stripes are white and not grey, we try to make sure our pants have a good, sharp crease, and we try to make sure our shoes are clean and polished. And patent leather is the ultimate in polished. Maybe some people's feet sweat a little more, or they need a different type of support, or a different width; that's fine. In my case, any little thing I can do to look better can't hurt.

But I don't think not being able to find a matching patent leather belt is a good reason for not wearing the shoes.

(Used with permission.)