View Single Post
Old Fri Oct 28, 2005, 08:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim Roden
This is a great question. I like RefTN's answer. But the question is, Is it worth it to work the semi-pro? Will they give you a good enough schedule? Will you always have a schedule. In most cases the answer is no. So stick with the HS. But if you know you will get 30 games and the pay is worth it then go with the semi-pro. Weigh your options and go with your gut.
When I first got in to Officiating I never thought about ever working pro. My thinking was working my way through HS ranks and then take it to the next level, college. But after working with and talking to these officials that do work Pro. I started thinking this could be another avenue to take in my growth as an official. I do know that when I started out as a cadet our instructors made a big point of telling us not to watch NBA Officiating. That is not real Officiating but just entertainment. But I found out for my self this summer that these Pro Officials approach there job just as professionally and in many cases more so then your average HS official. The way they study the game and there understanding of the play that are being run is far greater then anything my association has tried to teach us. And there is less politics involved. Now I am not saying that one is better then the other. But I would think that a Ref. that is trying to elevate his/her level of officiating would be welcomed not turned away.

Tim,
As far as being able to get a schedule. The ABA & USBL season runs about the same as the HS season. And a Ref can get a good schedule.
Many of the college Officials said they use these leagues to supplement there college schedules. The Pro-am is run in the summer, and there are not as many games but they will keep you working during that time period. The pay is ok too.