View Single Post
Old Thu Oct 27, 2005, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by rookieref2005
Yesterday, we had a middle school coach that liked to sub for the free throw shooter so he could set up his press. A few times he sent a sub to the bench as we administered the ball on the second free and we obliged on the make and allowed the sub to enter. However, the sub was replacing a player other than the shooter.

The other coach got very upset, saying, "You can only sub for the shooter on the second free throw." In other words, if team A subs after the second of two free throws, the shooter has to come out.

I told the coach that I've never heard of that rule and that I suspect that he hasn't either--it's just what is commonly done.

Can anyone help me out so I know if I was correct?

Can Team A have a sub enter for a non-shooter after the second (of two) free throw (the coach always had the kid go to the table as we administered the second free throw so he wouldn't have to enter between free throws)?

I thought it was OK--it just stretched the game out a little.

Thanks.
The Rook
Legal.

I usually don't let them in though, if they aren't at the table and completely ready as the ball is falling through the net. I just don't look. If the table buzzes anyway, or the kid starts to run onto the floor, I try to "wave them off". IF that totally doesn't work, then talk to the table or the coach and say, no one comes onto the floor until a ref beckons.