View Single Post
Old Tue Oct 25, 2005, 05:21pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Oh, my !

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:
Originally posted by M&M Guy
If I look at a player on the bench, and I think they look available, should I order them in the game, even though they're not eligible to play? For example, in grade school games in IL, the IESA (IL Elementary School Assoc.) has a limit on the total number of quarters a player can play in day (I believe it's 6 or 7). ...If a coach tells me the player is not available, who am I to argue?
M&M,
Not a good example.
With all that *thinking* and *believing*, I can tell you don't work those levels, or else you would know those limitations of play.
mick

"Baaaad sample!" - Charles Rogers
Well, actually, I worked one last year early in the season. (Ok, although it hasn't been often.) But, the reason I included that example is because the officials do not have any jurisdiction over those rules. We don't need to know what the number of quarters a player is allowed to play. Even if we did, we can't tell a player to play or not play based on those rules. It is an issue only between the schools and the IESA. If there is a player eligibility issue, a school can file an appeal, but the game officials cannot make any determinations, and there are no game penalties prescribed. The IESA told us to use the NFHS rules during games. So, I guess my point is if I see a player on the bench, and that player is "available" in the context of that game, I could be forcing a forfeit if I send that player out, even though the coach doesn't want to play him/her.

(Used with permission.)