View Single Post
Old Tue Oct 25, 2005, 04:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Originally posted by Texas Aggie
While a coach may not DQ a player, I don't agree that a coach can't make one unavailable.

The (NF) rule reads, "...if it has no substitutes to replace disqualified or injured players..."

If a coach says a player is no longer available, he or she is no longer a "substitute(s) to replace" another player. A sustitute is not defined in rule 4, and there is no provision I'm aware of that requires someone listed on the scorebook to play or return to the game, even if they have already played.
NFHS case book play 3.1.1. If a player is "available", you gotta put him/her in.
But, what makes a player "available"? Who makes that determination? If I look at a player on the bench, and I think they look available, should I order them in the game, even though they're not eligible to play? For example, in grade school games in IL, the IESA (IL Elementary School Assoc.) has a limit on the total number of quarters a player can play in day (I believe it's 6 or 7). Usually they play two games, the 5th/6th grade game, then the 7th/8th grade game. Officials have no jurisdiction over who plays how many quarters; it's an issue between the schools and the IESA. But if a school plays their best player more quarters than allowed, that school could forfeit as a result. So, if a coach says a player is not available, even though, according to NFHS rules they are available (less than 5 fouls, not injured, etc.) should I order them into the game and force a forfeit for that school later on?

If a coach tells me the player is not available, who am I to argue?

(Used with permission.)