Thread: Delay on B?
View Single Post
Old Mon Oct 24, 2005, 03:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dumbref
B has no time outs, A is in a hurry-up just before the half with the clock running. We go through our normal process of spotting the ball making sure the down marker is in place and all officials are ready. Give the ready and A is in position to snap the ball. B starts calling for a time out! I yell - you don't have any! About 2 seconds later, I hear my LJ blowing his whisle and he is stopping the clock.

When I realized he is honoring the TO, I drop my flag for delay of game on B. We penalized 5 and did not start the clock with the ready. Would anyone have handled it differently - besides shooting the LJ.

And yes we check TO's remaining after each TO - B used their last one in the first QRT and my LJ just had a brain *art.
REPLY: FIrst...I think shooting the LJ would be a bit extreme, but a jury of officials wouldn't convict you in this case. However, penalizing B for delay is not correct. There is no foul for calling an excessive TO. It's up to the crew to know that B has none remaining and just ignore their request. In this case, I would inform both teams that the clock was stopped inadvertently and that you will start it on the RFP which I wouldn't waste any time blowing.