View Single Post
Old Sat Oct 22, 2005, 09:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Texas Aggie
Had this happen twice this week in JH games, both times, a bean bag was thrown, OR one or more officials moved in position to determine possession as they would in a fumble.

First play: QB wrapped up (but not ruled down) and pitched ball forward with both hands. Second play tonight, QB was starting to lose control, but extended arm out and tossed ball forward only to have it hit the ground. On both plays, I was the one that ruled incomplete, and both times, I saw a covering official nod his head in agreement after I made the call. In other words, he knew what we had, but didn't put it together very fast.

Obviously, players go for a loose ball, and well they should. But, even when I've seen that play on TV for years, it always looked like an incomplete pass and still does, whether underhanded or two handed. Does anyone have trouble with the play, or did you when you started? Just curious.
I guess this depends on your definition of "think." If I process that it was a shovel pass then there is no doubt in my mind that it is incomplete if it hits the ground.

That being said, I agree with what was said before. I hope that myself and other officials take a second, make sure we know what we saw, and then blow it dead. I'd prefer to have a slow whistle and have to explain to the defensive coach why we didn't let his team return a 'fumble' for TD rather than have an IW. In major college ball, officials there are usually slow on the whistles on shovel passes.