View Single Post
Old Tue Oct 18, 2005, 08:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

My question was not an accusation. And you did not answer it. What would you think of the other official?
I had a game today and paid special attention on plays away as to where I was looking and what I was seeing. I must apologize because I noticed twice where for some unknown reason I stopped watching my area and started watching the ball on the other side. That is probably more likely what happen back in situation #2 of the original post.

In situation #1 though I still don't agree that I must watch only my side of the LOS. I mean why should that other official tell the kid that he was "OK"? He shouldn't and you can get way too much of an advantage by lining up offsides.
What would I think of the other official if it happen to me? Well, I'd think he was covering a mistake for me...but the last thing I'd do is run into the conference they were having and force the flag to be picked up. In fact I'd be embarrassed for telling the kid he was lined up correctly when he obviously wasn't.
This is of course my opinion...but judging from the responces I've gotten on this forum and the responces I got from some officials in person...I guess I'm wrong. Which is fine...that's what the forum is for...for me to be wrong and learn. Right?!?

Anyhow...I looked back at my post and maybe I'm being too defensive. I played a lot of years, I've been a coach and now I'm an official. The last thing I'd want to be accused of is being "an over officious jerk". Especially being accused by another official as such. I did not move to being an official to control anything....I simply did it to be involved in the game I love. I would still coach but I don't have the time to do that anymore. Now two games a week as an official is all I can do.