Thread: Amateur vs. Pro
View Single Post
Old Mon Oct 17, 2005, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by mattmets
Quote:
Originally posted by ozzy6900
Quote:
Good HS umpires can aspire to become D3 or D2 eventually becoming D1. Good HS umpires can go to one of the 2 MLB schools and maybe, possibly, on the outside chance get a Minor League job. Sometimes you get lucky. Ed Rapuano is still a member of our HS board (honorary) and made it all the way to the Big's, so it can be done. But to say that HS Playoff umpires are as good as MLB is just a ridiculous statement!
Ozz,

I'm from CT too so I've heard that Ed is from the area. Do you know if he started out by working HS games in the CIAC? I've heard from guys I played with that his father still works- do you know if this is true? I just graduated HS so this info is fairly recent. I'm just asking because I love the way Ed works and think he is one of the best in the bigs today.

Thanks-
Matt
Yes, Ed Rap started working HS ball with the New Haven Board, went to MLB school (I don't remember which one) sand got a minor league job. He got placed in the Bigs to backfill a vacationing MLB umpire and they liked his style. He was called up and the rest is history. His father is still a member and active umpire (not a bad one either, if I may be so bold).