Thread: Amateur vs. Pro
View Single Post
Old Mon Oct 17, 2005, 10:43am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by SanDiegoSteve
[/B]
Like I have previously stated, the only reason I'm not a big league umpire is that I started way too late to get a pro job. I regret that fact.

And Garth, the same goes for you. I am sure your the ace of your association or some such bull. I had plenty of huevos, I had the stupidity to believe what I was told at the time. There may have been a 30 year old honor grad.

[/B][/QUOTE]Far be it for me to get involved in an argument, but......

I heard of one MLB umpire who went to four camps in a row before he got offered a job-- 2 months before he turned 30. Worked his way up through the minors to AAA and actually got into 95 games in the Bigs as a fill-in. Then he got shunted back to AAA permanently in '93 for a year, and ended up getting fired. He lived with his Mommie for 3 years and then went and begged to get an umpiring job back- at the age of forty (40) plus. He started all over again at A ball and worked his way back up to AAA again. Finally got his chance in '99 when Richie Philipps made the biggest mistake of his career and MLB ended up replacing 22 veterano blues and opened up their jobs for rookies.

With a little perseverance, you coulda been "that guy"!

Phil Cuzzi, come on down!

http://www.referee.com/sampleArticle...mplisting.html

[Edited by Jurassic Referee on Oct 17th, 2005 at 11:51 AM]