Thread: Amateur vs. Pro
View Single Post
Old Mon Oct 17, 2005, 10:36am
Official Forum Member

more to it SanDiegoSteve

Here is the plan facts - Getting a call right 10 of 10 times, that is a great kudos to have and I am so glad you can have the confidence to say something like this.

However, the big big picture of what I assume to be a MLB (or other leagues') umpire goes well beyond just making calls. Just like in almost every aspect of life - knowledge, experience, and communication plays a huge role on how situations reveal themselves.

Knowledge:
Knowlege of the rules is obviously the one point that everyone feels that an umpire must know. But, there is more to that. Interpretation of the rules probably transcends the knowledge in importance. Being able to apply the right rule to the right situation - now that takes skill, training, and experience that far surpasses most "part-time" umpires. Thank goodness for the MLB umpires and trainers.

Experience:
Experience pretty much says what it says. Understanding where you have been and knowing how to move forward from there. Applying experience is not just because you have umprired for 30 years, but rather applying the lessons you learned over those 30 years. This does not just happen on the field either. This is passing the knowledge via your partners, organizations,..

Communication:
The skill to communicate can make or break a solid leader in any aspect of life. I believe if there is one attribute an umpire MUST have, communication is a must. To be able to "verbal and non-verbal" calls, relationships, situations,... goes a long way to making a great umpire - and leader.

Now SanDiegoSteve, unitl you have walked the walk I would just keep on moving along if I were you. I do not post many messages, but I do frequent this message board a ton to gain some knowledge and experience. I do not profess to be in the same "photograph" as many on this board as far as umpiring skills go - nor should you. This board is about adding value for others to discuss and learn. Unitl you add that value - I AM NOT LISTENING TO YOU!!!!

Just my 2 cents,
Jeff