Old Mon Oct 17, 2005, 06:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SanDiegoSteve
Quote:
Originally posted by LDUB
Quote:
Originally posted by SanDiegoSteve
Just because an umpire is in the majors, doesn't automatically make him a really great umpire, or even a better umpire than the best amateurs.
This brings up the question of: Are the best D-I umpires better than some MLB umpires?
Well, since I put my foot in my mouth to start with, I'll go first.

Most umpires (these days) who go to umpire school, go through the gruelling years in the minors, and then get the call to the majors, are outstanding officials. But I feel that many do not possess the same kind of "crappy baseball" experience that the seasoned amateur umpire does.
The lowest levels, i.e. Rookie, or Short A, etc., are still a notch above High School or College ball. So, while we are seeing every possible situation known to man, they sometimes aren't experiencing the same things. Does this make sense? These guys might not have ever seen some of the idiotic plays that we see on a daily basis at the lower levels.

So, that being said, to answer the question, yes, I think that it is possible that SOME College, and even SOME High School Varsity playoff quality umpires are as good, or better than SOME Major League umpires.
Okay, I am a HS umpire and I don't feel that we can hold a candle to our brothers in MLB. Maybe, we could get some work in Rookie or AA ball but nothing above. There is a world of difference between doing HS vs. MLB. Most HS is done under FED rules (except in 2 states). The players are far from Minor league caliber let alone MLB.

Good HS umpires can aspire to become D3 or D2 eventually becoming D1. Good HS umpires can go to one of the 2 MLB schools and maybe, possibly, on the outside chance get a Minor League job. Sometimes you get lucky. Ed Rapuanno is still a member of our HS board (honorary) and made it all the way to the Big's, so it can be done. But to say that HS Playoff umpires are as good as MLB is just a ridiculous statement!