View Single Post
Old Thu Oct 18, 2001, 08:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rockyroad
Ok...I have read everything on the other board about this topic, and am afraid I have to side with Mr. DeNucci, Sr...there is no provision in the NFHS rules for a "simultaneous" personal foul, so the only rule applicable to this situation would be the false double foul rule - in theory...we can't just decide to make up our own interpretation here and call them simultaneous fouls when those don't "exist" in the rule book...
Okay Dan, you were right, I couldn't resist.

DJ, simulataneous fouls do most certainly exist. See 6-3-3g. I can't tell you why it's not listed in the definitions but it is listed in rule 6.

Double fouls and double technical fouls are handled the same way. Why would simulataneous personal fouls and simultaneous technical fouls be handled differently? Answer, they shouldn't. When simultaneous fouls occur, it becomes an AP situation. When simultaneous technical fouls occur, it becomes an AP situation. In neither case do you shoot FTs.

Tim, you said, "this is also false multiple." I'm sure you wrote that mistakenly, since there's a foul on each team, not two fouls on the same team.

Mark D., this is most certainly an IAABO interpretation of the play. And it is not a FDF. Why? As I've been trying to tell you for a week that these fouls occur simultaneously, not one after the other, as in a FDF.

BigWhistle, it really doesn't matter what the NCAA says as this is an NF sitch.

Finally, this is fun! Glad to see things are starting to heat up!

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith