View Single Post
Old Sun Oct 16, 2005, 05:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Kirby
Quote:
Originally posted by BulldogMcC
4) Is it a stadium call?
What do you mean by this? Just curious, Thanks.
I am the wing man, with a split end to my side. Sweep is to the far side of the field, but that split end comes out and tackles the corner covring him. Wraps him up and takes him to the ground. This is not a safety issue, has nothing to do with the point of attack, did not really give A an advantage since that corner was not part of the developing play but everyone in the stands down to the parents of the cheerleaders (aka people not watching the game) saw it. Then you have to throw it.

In a nut shell it means any obvious foul by a team that everyone in the stadium has seen. A prime example is the defensive encroachment. B enters the NZ but immediately retreats. Has he gained an advantage? Is it a safety issue? Does it have anything to do with the point of attack? No to all three, but everyone saw it so we have to call it.

The interior lineman holds I see as an umpire also fall into a greyer area. They have to be at the point of attack or be holding a defensive player that will be part of the developing play before I throw my flag. I am the only one that see these. Coaches might be guessing about them, but I doubt they can see them even when the complain about ones I let go. To do otherwise would result in spending half of the 4+ hours it would take to complete a game marching off yardage penalties.