View Single Post
Old Sat Oct 15, 2005, 09:41pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
The Davis System

I have used the Davis system for about 3 years now, since being introduced to it by Gerry at a clinic. This is trully a "system" as opposed to just a stance. There are several keys to making it work.

1) You must work the slot in the GD System, there is no option. Besides, who doesn't work the slot anyway? Remember there is a difference between positioning and stances. If you try to use the slot with a balloon you will not see the low or outside pitches. Get rid of the balloon (highly recommended), or work over the top.
2) With the GD System, you must work higher and farther back from the catcher. This attracts the attention both of coaches and observers. They will get used to it.
3) The GD system puts your head at a consistant height from the first pitch to the last, because your arms don't change length during a game!!
4) This system provides a rock solid lock in mechanism for your head. If the hands on knee set works so well on the bases, why not the plate? Plus the fatigue factor is very nearly eliminated, you are consistant from beginning to end.
5) A hint if you have neck pain after the first game or two. Be sure to "drop your seat" as the pitcher is just about to release the ball. This does two things, it prevents that pain and it also brings the eyes up and allows a better look at the pitch. We have enough "pains in the neck" during the game, we don't want to give ourselves one.

Why do the coaches seem to notice your strike zone? Thats simple, because you have such a good view of the zone that you are calling strikes that you missed before.

As for UmpAndy getting hit by foul balls, its not because of being too far back. There are more than likely mechanical reasons, and a good evaluator, partner or clinic instructor will find out and fix it. I have found since using the GD System, I DO NOT GET HIT, period! Probably twice in 4 years. This is probably because I am doing higher level ball, but also because I am not moving around so much.

Sorry for the long post, but this is a subject that is near and dear to my heart.

Bob P.

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.