View Single Post
Old Thu Oct 18, 2001, 11:07am
Administrator

Dan, I agree with you that my response was somewhat poorly worded; I often tell people that because I am an engineer mathematics in my first language and English is my second language. Having said that, there was a later post that more clearly explained my position and is the position that the NFHS and NCAA takes and here it is:

"That is, if A1 fouls B1 at 10:00, and B2 fouls A2 also at 10:00, the time on the B2 foul is "before the clock started following the [A1 foul]". (Obviously, I'm ignoring the situation where the clock starts for a fraction of a second, but it isn't registered onthe display.) It soesn't matter whether the fouls occurred simultaneously or sequentially -- the definition still applies." by Bob Jenkins

BktBallRef, IAABO does not "interpret" the rules as an IAABO interpretation. The fact the fouls are by both teams are a critical factor in them being part of a false double foul. When both teams commit fouls before the clock starts after the first foul that makes the entire fouls sequence (boy, how I hated to use that word) a false double foul. R6-S3-A3g tells us who we will but the ball into play after all of the other required penalties are imposed.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio