Thread: Obstruction
View Single Post
Old Wed Oct 17, 2001, 09:58pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Unobstructed runner affected by obstruction?

Quote:
Originally posted by Gulf Coast Blue
R1 on first and ball hit well to left........

R1 rounds 2nd and is obstructed by F6 on her way to third.....she falls and sees the ball coming in decides she will be out and returns to 2nd.......

The BR who has almost reached 2nd reacts to R1's retreat and heads back to first and is thrown out returning to 1st.

Do you kill the play when the BR is out and place R1 on 3rd and BR on 2nd........?

Or.......do you allow everything to stand because the obstructed runner was never played upon (put out)?

I think I know the answer.......but thought this might bring out some responses.

Joel
Speaking ASA

Delayed dead ball until R1 is either put out or it is obvious the play is over. If the BR is tagged out while off the base, s/he remains out.

The only player provided protection by rule is the obstructed runner. All other runners are still be cognizant to the ball and the other runners at all times during a live ball.

Because it is a live ball, R1 is still capable of advancing to 3B or Home on her own, thus leaving 2B available for B2.

Now, I'm not saying this is fair, but there is no rule to provide a runner other than that obstructed with any protection, or to kill the ball when they are put out.