View Single Post
Old Wed Oct 17, 2001, 12:05pm
Official Forum Member

Re: FEDlandia redux

Originally posted by Jim Mills

Once again, the FED dispenses with the need for players to actually think and perform. In their recent survey of why officials don't re-register for FED ball, was "stupidity of rule book" an option? It's a major reason last season was my final season of HS baseball.

Jim no rule book is sqeaky clean As J/R points out there are some 75-100 inconsistencies in the OBR rule-book and there's a fat chance in you no where that the OBR will be re-written - It's not a big priority as far as the players or owners are concerned.

Personally, I preferred the old FED rule regarding appeals. I agree their new rule stinks I also do not like FED's pitching rules.

Absent the aforementioned I prefer FED rules as least for amateur baseball. Let's take a look at the slide / avoid rule that most amateur leagues adopt using OBR. Basically, you can maliciously contact a player, and only have to fear being ejected.

In FED Malicious Contact is an out and an ejection whether the player has the ball or not. Also, I think the FED has done a nice job in their case book analysis.

Nothing is perfect, but IMO the rules of choice at least for amateur baseball is FED.

Pete Booth