View Single Post
Old Thu Oct 13, 2005, 09:38am
Official Forum Member

>>We work NCAA mechanics, so have HL, LJ, and R. LJ flagged a man for being downfield (he was) when he saw the pass leave the QB's hand. He didn't, however, notice that the pass was behind the LOS. So we waived it off, and explained why.<<

Not sure I consider that a waive off, at least not one similar to what was mentioned above. What everyone did was correct: he threw the flag, and you (or the other official) made the determination that the foul didn't occur because of other information that you, and not the LJ, had. He was probably downfield. If its me, I'd rather have the flag thrown than a guy 7 yards downfield trying to guess whether the pass was completed behind the line, and focusing on that instead of the downfield blocking, spot, etc.

Anyway, I've seen this a lot. If you had had a mic, you simply announce, "the flag was thrown for an ineligible player downfield. However, since the pass was completed behind the line of scrimmage, there are no restrictions on downfield players and thus no foul." I was in the stands at a high school varsity game a couple of years ago when this happened, and I explained it to the people around me before the WH announced it. If you don't have a mic, that's what you say to the coach.