Thread: Punt Play
View Single Post
Old Tue Oct 04, 2005, 04:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Theisey
I disagree. The ENZ disappears once the ball has crossed this area we call the ENZ. On kick plays, this area is only used for touching of low scrimmage kicks.

K retains the ball, 1st and 10.
Damn. Another evening with the case/rule book!

Lemmesee...

4th and 7 at K's 45 when we have a scrimmage kick from K's 45 - which is grounded - when it lands beyond the ENZ at the 50yd line, bounces backwards and hit's R1 at the LOS (K's 45)... Then... The loose ball rolls forward 1 yard to K's 46 where K2 recovers.

On the surface I'm inclined to award K the ball (recovery) since it went beyond the ENZ and then was touched by R. Regardless of where R was positioned at the time. Right or wrong, that's my first impression. But I will read more on it later tonight at home.

My confusion stems from K needing to reach R's 48 as the LTG. Since we have a loose ball, possesion still remains with the last team in possesion. Since R didn't gain control of the ball to end the Kick (PSK), prior to K regaining possesion... How can K get a 1/10 if they did not attain the LTG which is at R's 48? K recovered on K's 46.

All of my muffed punt calls have been way downfield and when K regains the ball I figured the 1st and 10 for K came about since they were past their original LTG.

In the OP example, R never had possesion, K recovered a loose ball short of their LTG. Even by recovering the ball wouldn't they turn it over on downs since they can't advance the ball when recovered beyond the NZ?

Can someone elaborate for me?

WM