View Single Post
Old Mon Oct 03, 2005, 01:26pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Smile

Thanks to all who have replied.

For clarity, I am not a coach of this team, I just volunteered to do the game videos. As HLin NC correctly observed, this is Jr. High, primarily 8th graders, playing in a weight segregated (this level is 107-125 lbs.) travel league which uses NFHS rules. The games are officiated by 3-man crews who are supposed to be I(llinois)HSA-certified.

The call made on the field was DPI, the ball was placed just outside the defense's 10 yd. line, and the offense was awarded a 1st down. Needless to say, this call was not very popular with the fans of the defensive team.

I had two reeasons for posting:

1. To get some unbiased & objective opinions on whether or not the correct call was made.

2. To get a better understanding of the rules involved.

There was quite a bit of discussion among the fans about this play, primarily regarding whether or not a 1st down should have been awarded, what the proper spot should have been, and whether the pass was "catchable".

From the responses (thanks to Bob M. for the thorough answer regarding the rules), my understanding is that the 1st down is awarded by rule on a DPI even though the offense did not reach the line to gain, and the proper spot should have been about the 12 & 1/2 yd. line because it was a 15 yd. penalty from a previous spot inside the 30 - therefore, 1/2 the distance rather than 15 yds.

The one question that remains unresolved is whether a determination of whether the pass was catchable has any bearing on the call. My understanding is that this is not relevant under NFHS rules, but that it would be relevant in a game played under NCAA rules.

Thanks.

JM