View Single Post
Old Tue Sep 27, 2005, 11:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman
Common sense worked fine. There were no problems. There would have been a complete hornet's nest if we would have allowed red to go score a layup on the confused white team because the official's gave the ball to the wrong team after correctly awarding it to white. Common sense officiating often trumps Hoyle.
I'm glad that you didn't have problems. But if the coach happens to know the rule, you're screwed. That's all I'm saying.

Quote:
I have a hard time believing that you would have just let red score.

Not to be holier-than-thou, but I would've blown my whistle before the red kid got the ball. I'd rather say "Wait a minute" and be wrong, than let it go and have to do what you had to do.

Quote:
Besides, it you want to get "rulesy" about it, you can re-read my post and see that I recognized the mistake before the ball was inbounded (so before the throw-in was completed) and I just had a delayed whistle.
I'm not sure that matters. According to the casebook play (6-4-1), I believe that once the throw-in pass is touched inbounds, the mistake cannot be corrected.
Even if you don't correct it, there's nothing stopping you from blowing the whistle and letting red keep the throwin just to let white get back on defense. That would at least keep the error from being too costly.