View Single Post
Old Thu Sep 22, 2005, 03:03pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Dumb Captains

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
Quote:
Originally posted by Suudy
We had a game where the perennial powerhouse was coming to play the perennial doormat. The visitors won the toss. Before the WH could give the options they said "We want to kick." The WH told them to slow down, "Here are your options: defer, receive, kick, or defend a goal." Again, "We want to kick." The WH said, "Do you understand your choices? You can DEFER, RECEIVE," and with much less emphasis, "kick or defend a goal." Again, "We want to kick." The WH says, "Ok."

So along comes the second half. The home team has choice and chooses to receive. When the visiting coach hears they are kicking off twice he goes ballistic. We tell him that his kids chose to kick in the first half, his eyes went wide and then he turned and grabbed his captains. He made them do bear crawls from the behind the bench for half the 3rd quarter.

Sometimes no amount of hints will get through to some kids.
I had this happen last week and I simply said to the captain -- "you realize that you will then kick both halves."

Sorry, I don't believe in punishing teams this way unless that's what they really want.
First game out we had the same scenario. Coin toss winner elects to 'Kick'. WH says, "You say you want to Defer or receive?". "No, we'll kick."

WH tells well-known coach about it and HC says, I'll kick his @ss for that! LMAO.

Come start of the 2nd half, coin-toss loser's get choice. "We'll kick" they say. Go figure, eh....

Our biggest attempt at translating comes when you ask the team which goal they want to defend and they simply point and say, "That way".

Which way??? You want to GO that way or DEFEND that way??? Then they go into a confernece with each other and eventually start looking to the sidelines for help. Sometimes that's longer than the introduction and coin toss.

WM