View Single Post
Old Wed Sep 14, 2005, 10:09pm
Official Forum Member

I was working a Varsity Fall League last week when I had a situation arise during the game that I really didn't think was a situation until I was thinking about it on my drive home .
Player A1 makes a strong move to the hoop and throws it down on Player B . Both Teams come back down the court and Player B1 starts to post up Player A1 and he starts calling for the ball saying he has a mismatch . There is some low chatter among the two and then I clearly hear A1 say "you gotta learn to move your feet HONKY" . The ball moves around a shot is put up and I hear no more the rest of the game from either one .
I have a couple of questions :
DO I give a flagrant for use of the word HONKY?
If you think a flagrant should be called :
Does it matter if both players involved are WHITE ?
How about if both are BLACK ?
One white/one black ?

For the record everyone in the gym was WHITE and I did not give out any T's . As I said earlier I didn't even think twice about it (as far as being a flagrant) until I was driving home.

Yeah, this is a different take on a different thread...does it make any difference?

For the record...I'm with JRut on this one. Use your NFHS given judgement to actually make a judgement on whether or not the talking was of a taunting nature. If you want to kick the kid out, fine, do it...it's your judgement and your game management skills. Of course, the official that kicks this kid out for using HONKY or the "N" word, is probably the same official that "T's" up the player for hearing him say the "F" word after a missed shot.(Not loud enough for anyone else to hear but the official and the player.)
Sure...talk to the player when you get a chance...but, kick him out?...it's your call.

Finally:
IMO...it's not WHAT is said...it's HOW it is said.

BTW: If I have a situation where a player uses an obsenity loudly or in a taunting nature...I don't repeat that word to the coach...I just tell the coach the player used an obsenity. Unless I have to write a report that wants the exact verbage...why repeat the obsenity?
Richland, WA