View Single Post
Old Thu Sep 08, 2005, 12:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob M.
Suppose two opponents are facing off at the line of scrimmage. The offensive player grabs a handful of jersey inside. The two continue to face off as the runner passes by them. The NFL calls this a “dance” and will most likely not flag it if the defender is happy to just stand there in an embrace with his opponent. But, if the defender in this scenario makes a move toward the runner and a real restriction to his movement is obvious, you’ll undoubtedly see a flag.
I threw a flag for exactly this situation last week. But I'll readily admit I didn't see the grab which is why I'm asking about this. I was certain I had a hold but you could make a clear argument that I guessed and that's where I was wrong.

And...later on the wing official who was on the other side of the field actually saw the jersey grabbed from his viewpoint but didn't want to throw a flag that far away. So in the end I was correct but I was told by more senior officials I shouldn't have thrown that flag because again I was technically guessing.