View Single Post
Old Wed Sep 07, 2005, 02:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob M.
Quote:
Originally posted by WyMike
We use a closed fist for a good count, 11 players. Nothing for less than 11 as it isn't a concern of ours. For 11+ before the RFP I'll not signal with a closed fist at all, and tell the nearest player of A or B to "Count your players Blue/White!".

If they break with 12+ in the huddle they get a flag.

WM
REPLY: There is no Federation rule regarding breaking the huddle with 12 (or more). Two plays to illustrate:

(1.) Sub A12 comes onto the field and enters the huddle. After about 5 seconds, no one has left. RULING: Flag it then. Don't wait for the huddle to break. [Note: This is why it's important to count players in the huddle if possible instead of waiting for them to get into formation.

(2.) Sub A12 comes onto the field and enters the huddle. Immediately the huddle breaks and replaced player A1 heads toward his sideline out of the play. RULING: No foul (in Federation) even though the huddle broke with 12.

Also, I disagree with you statement that "...it isn't a concern of ours..." if there are less than 11. I believe it is. A signal for less than 11 ccommunicates to your crewmates to be aware that a player entering the field late should be expected. It also (if by Team A) can help determine if an illegal formation might exist at the snap (i.e. four in the backfield, less than 11 on the fild).
Absolutely, especially the part about 10 being on the field. If I don't know there's 10 on the field I won't have a flag because I won't know theres 10 on the field. Hope the opposite wing official notices it.