Thread: Faking a charge
View Single Post
Old Mon Sep 05, 2005, 09:11pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Junker
Thanks for the clarification JR. I thought that's what you were getting at. I'd still like to hear if anyone else ever calls the T for flopping. As stated before, I got handcuffed into calling it one night, but that's honestly the only time I've ever even heard of it being called. I'd like to see them experiment with changing the rule to a common foul (although they'd have to change the terminology so that it wouldn't have to include contact). I see this T much like the T for running OOB that was changed for this year. It happens alot, but the rule is almost never enforced because the penalty seems too severe.
Dan was getting at exactly the same thing too, as was W&S.

Personally I've called a "T" twice in a whole buncha years iirw, and both times it was after I had already issued an off-the-record warning for it in that game. I couldn't begin to count the number of times I've no-called it though, or warned a defender to cut it out. Might be just me, but I don't believe in issuing the same warning twice.

I agree with you that the penalty usually does not fit the crime in this particular case. The only problem is that it tends to get coaches who aren't aware that their player was flopping riled up. A warning and a little whisper to the coach usually takes care of that problem imo.