View Single Post
Old Wed Aug 31, 2005, 09:12pm
Official Forum Member

Despite the "we've be doing this for 30 years on the sidelines" pleas in high school games, I work them as far off as I can get them which usually winds up being 4 or 5 feet. NCAA games 6 feet all the time from end to end.

Never cliped at the GL prior to removing the chains. I (we) saw no benefit in doing so. Besides, had the ball been between the 10 and the 5, I would have cliped at the 5 anyhow. It might save you on one play only. Remote I'd say.

You see, when the line to gain is the goal line. I now have four people, the Box-man, both Rod-men and possibly a clip-man plus myself (so make that 5 people) who know where the ball position is at the start of every snap. It's no different then when the box-man has to bail out back at midfield. Your as the HL and he as the Box-man have to remember the previous spot until it's no longer the previous spot.

It should be no problem returning the ball to the previous spot within inches should the need arise. In NCAA games, I have a chart-man recording every ball position. I tell him what to write, so it is very easy in those games.