Thread: LL Minn vs Iows
View Single Post
Old Sat Aug 20, 2005, 10:18am
Official Forum Member

Interesting

Carl I think life is about personal choices.

If I believe that, in my heart, then I should allow others to make the decisions that THEY can live with . . . that is fine.

AS "keepers of the game" people have various responsibilities to make sure that the game is protected and certain activities are at least "viewed."

As my friend Tony Peters says: "as an umpire I only report what I see . . . other than that I have little responsibility."

I will comment on only a few of your points:

"(4) render aid to a striken umpire;"

As I mentioned on the paid part of the site in my column I was amazed this past school season when I was nailed by a deflected pitch and coaches from both teams came to my aid.

I also commented in the column that may, just maybe, some coaches were fine. In fact I mentioned that I have friends that coach . . . and (psst) I even respect a few guys in my area.

"3. It's sort of dumb to bandy words with Rich Ives. He's a sophisticated, knowledgeable League administrator and with more years in baseball than most of the umpires on this Board."

Sorry CC I just can't agree. Rich is a Rat with a capital "R". While not as "Crooked" as some of the coaches on the ABUA website he is still Rat-centered and makes more silly comments than even me.

It is my opinion that this Forum would be better off without Rich -- in fact I have offered to leave the Forum if Rich would -- he declined.

"4. Another coach, John Muller, has proved repeatedly that he knows the rules as well as any umpire on this Board. (Well, almost any umpire. grin)"

I am not surprised in this comment. John, much like you, does deep study of the rules. Unlike you he has not worked as an umpire and has no idea of how the entire ebb and flow of a game sometimes dictates how that game is called.

Anyone can read JEA, J/R, BRD, NAPBL Manual and the MLB Red Book and make text book conversation. We have "real umpires" (tm) that do the same thing with game experience.

Again we would be better off without a coach trying to teach umpires the rules. But I understand, you like the acadameia of John's work. That is fine.

"From my career: Wear an adjustable hat? Do the eye test with The Famous Chicken? Wear a shirt with a patch? Kick dirt off a base? Rub up a ball during the game? Wear a retro-uniform?"

I would only take issue with my "opinion" that as a "professor of umpiring" that you should hold yourself to a higher standard.

I would never dance with a mascot, wear an adjustable hat, or take an eye test as part of an onfield prank. There are other umpires let them make a travesty of the profession.

Carl, life is a series of personal choices.

Do what ever you think is right, but remember many umpires of the future will follow your direction. Please remember to save at least a little of the tradition of umpiring.

In closing I would find it best if I did not comment on the guy from "downunder".