View Single Post
Old Thu Aug 11, 2005, 08:34am
I hate Illinois Nazis

Re: OK,

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim C
"We were talking baseball but last night he brought a publication from 1983 titled "Illustrated Softball Rules" . . ."

So,

Why would anyone think that a softball rules book would pretain to a baseball ruling?
A little background: I'm in my mid 30's and everybody else at these dinners are at least 50. This particular gentleman is in his upper 70's and he is a joy to be around due to his continued enthusiasm for the game. I usually feel very comfortable and confident in my rules knowledge. I am constantly in disagreement with my elder, more experienced colleagues but I am always afraid to disagree with them. I rarely contribute to this kind of forum (discussion boards) because I am afraid of the flame wars here. I usually just ask questions. I frankly could use some advice on how to approach the issue of how to disagree in a way that doesn't offend sensitive, veteran umpires who are very set in their ways. Last night, after I read the passage, I said in a very humble tone that I didn't think it applied to baseball. The gentleman turned to another umpire who does more baseball, and he agreed with the one base award. I said I would post the question on this forum (these guys are not internet savvy). Even the tone (if a "tone" can be inferred from writing) of your question Tim, could be construed as on the offensive. Why didn't you just answer the question? I really try to avoid this when I disagree with these older fellas. I wouldn't know how to verbally ask your question in a way that doesn't put the other guy on the defensive. I am starting to ramble so I'll stop here.