View Single Post
Old Mon Aug 08, 2005, 02:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PeteBooth
[snip]
The defense makes a bad throw pulling F4/F6 off the bag. If that's the case, then we need to SEE the touch of the base on the part of either F4/F6, however, if the throw "is on the money" and F4/F6 are in the vicinity or "neighborhood" as we say of the bag, then we have an out.
[snip]
Pete Booth [/B]
Yet, I think under any condition the pivot man must touch the base. If he misses it completely, never so much as touching the bag, I would not call an out.

I don't think the "neighborhood play" suggests that the fielder never touches the bag, instead, it involves the fielder not being ON the bag WITH the ball.

The classic example is the fielder dragging his foot across the bag ... separating from the bag ... catching the throw a split second later ... THEN making his throw to 1st.

If you look at the photo that is in the most recent article I wrote, our 2nd baseman actually caught the ball while OFF the bag but only after crossing over the bag and making contact with it. Had he completely missed the bag I am of the opinion that the runner should NOT be called out.

David Emerling
Memphis, TN