View Single Post
Old Fri Sep 14, 2001, 04:29pm
Official Forum Member

Mick

what did I miss here?
When a lead goes strong side there is two refs on the same side of the floor. There is absolutuely nothing wrong with that. There is nothing anywhere that I have found that says that the floor has to be balanced. The NF mechanics manual has pictures showing both officials on the same side of the floor. Primary and secondary coverage does not change. The ball and six players ended up on top of you and you have the ball (I am assuming ball was below FT line and inside the arc) It's your call and your partner has off ball. He can call the off ball, perimeter, and weakside stuff from where he is at. He would have looked awfully stupid if there had been a quick steal and he is in the middle of the floor trying to move across when the team is trying to race the other way.

The reason you went to the strong side was that there is the potential that a ball would go low on the strong side, you were there to call it. Instead of your partner calling from lead 25 ft away or you across the paint 15 ft away trying to look through bodies. I think he messed up, just because he has more experience does not mean that he knows what he is doing. I have worked with "experienced officials" and wonder if they had spent the last 3 days in the donut store because their eyes were so glazed.