View Single Post
Old Tue Aug 02, 2005, 12:42pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally posted by refTN

Ok I just wanted to see your outlook on this. I have experienced alot of these situations, believe it or not. Most all the thoughts that come from my head to these posts were taught and drilled into my brain. I believe I do understand the terminology that I use.

I do this for a living. I have no other job or anything. All I do on days that I am not reffing is reading NCAA and NFHS rulebooks, terminology, tapes, and this forum. Thanks to you guys I have been able to throw out some misconceptions and you guys even got me doubting my mentor sometimes, but that is what I love about this forum. You guys are great even though you never agree with me and say it is because of my "lack of experience" and that is ok because I understand you have to be around a while before you gain acceptance. I can live with that.

I do hope that before my 1000th post that me and someone on this post agree with something that I have said. Maybe I will have my 7th year in by then and can have some kind of experience.

Like I said, what I wrote earlier and what I write in the future is all teaching. I don't believe in learning by yourself and on your own when it comes to officiating. You have to have great teachers, instructors, mentors to do well and be good at this profession. I personally feel I have those.
Well I'm someone that agrees with you this time. When I speak of experience I talk about what goes on during games. You cannot get all the experience you need in 50 or 60 games because there will be something that happens you aren't ready for. A hostile crowd, a bad coach, two bad coaches, a troublesome player and a combination of these and endless other situations makes up your experience. You started this so I will say what I've said before: being able to read a rule book and type does not make someone a good official or one to be looked up to. You must be able to bring it on the court, plain and simple!