Thread: Move Up?
View Single Post
Old Fri Jul 29, 2005, 12:50am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Camron Rust

What does Saturday or odd days have to do with this discussion? I don't know of any reason that JV games can't be played on the same day as the Varsity game. They may or may not depending on the area but it is only by someone's choice. In fact, JV games here precedes the Varsity game by an 1.5 to 1.75 hours on the same dates. The freshman games are often held at the same time as the JV game.
Well depending on where you live, JV games are not played on the same days as a varsity game. It really boils down to where you live. It also has to deal with the discussion if you read the original post.

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge

You make a lot of assumptions.

A lot of people don't work 8-5. I've found that particularly true with officials in general more than others I know. Many may not be leaving work early at all. In fact, I know some that have really early jobs and like to be asleep by the time I'm finishing my game. I know another that would be assigned varisty games but requests JV so he can go home to be with his kids before they're all asleep.

You also make a lot of assumptions, not everyone has kids that they need to tuck in either. Many officials I know their kids are much older or their kids are in college. Or there are many officials like myself that have no kids at all. Most people I know also have a job and that job requires that they work sometime during the day. Most jobs people are working during mid-day. One the other hand there are a lot of people do not have a set schedule or work in sales or run a business and they can leave just about anytime they get ready. Not sure what your issue is Camron. I also work baseball and one of the main reasons we have a shortage of umpires in my area is because people cannot get off of work to get to those games. Baseball games start at 4:00 and 4:30 in my area and it is not the desire to work that makes people quit or never get started. It is their job.

Quote:
Originally posted by Camron Rust
If I target getting to a game by 5pm, traffic is not too bad yet...it gets worse as I'm arriving.

I would expect the varisty officials to arrive at the game earlier than the JV official before theirs.
Camron, there is a reason I said something like, "Maybe some of these things might be relative to my area." I realize that everyone does not live in a large metropolitan area. When I started officiating I lived in a very rural area. When I lived in that rural area I still had an hour or more drive to many games. It was not always easy to get away from what I had to do at that time and get to games.

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge

Again, that depends on your job and your family. It depends on the traffic patterns in your area.
Of course it does. Who said family, job or traffic did not matter? Of course all that matters. I am just saying that most people can get to an evening game than an early afternoon game.

Peace