Thread: Field Decorum
View Single Post
Old Thu Jul 28, 2005, 05:24pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Carl Childress
Quote:
Originally posted by BigUmp56
Tim,

Whats with the WE ****? Do you have a mouse in your pocket?
Are we choosing teams?

Are you implying that you speak for others?
Read the posts in this thread again and you will see just how many players are on your team on this one.

Nobody asked you a direct personal question, so there was really no need for you to respond to this thread.

If you felt this topic was " beneath you ", why didn't you just pass it over and let those who wished to respond to it do so without receiving criticizm from you?

I think to please you, I'll now post a list of topics for you to choose a couple from for discussion. I would challenge you to open a thread on one of these following topics so we can discuss REAL umpiring questions.

1)The different organizational takes on whether or not a fielder can committ obstruction while in the act of fielding a ball.

2)Contact avoidance requirement without malicious contact.

3)What situations require intent on the part of a runner or batter in regards to interference.

4)Who should take trouble catches on a 90' diamond in a 2 man crew working the "V".

5)The difference between protecting to a base or base awards on obstruction calls.

6)Proper rotation for a 4 man crew on the 90' diamond.

7)Proper rotation for a 4 man crew on the 60' diamond.

8)IFF not called when warranted.

9)Right handed 3rd to 1st pick off moves.

10)Throwing to second from the windup.

11)Appealing a missed base with multiple runners.

12)Shared responsibility calls.

13)Umpires interference.

14)Spectators interference.

15)Catchers balk.

I am sure these all are quite remedial to you, but enlighten us poor newbie slobs!

Tim.
Some of these questions have quick answers.

1. A fielder can obstruct while trying to field a batted ball if he muffed it and had to change positions to re-field it.

3. Intent is never relevant to batter interference. If he interferes, it's "interference," regardless. A runner must deliberately and wilfully interfere with the intent to break up a double play. Deliberate hindrance is also required on interference with a thrown ball.

4. If the 2-man crew is using the Vee, and the field umpire is inside, he has the Vee. (grin) If he's on the line, best bet is he takes trouble catches from centerfield coming in and to his left.

8. If the infield fly is in effect, and the umpires fail to call it - after the play is over, if they agree the batted ball was an infield fly, then they must insure that the defense did not get an unmerited double play. This could include returning runners to bases or calling out the batter-runner.

9. The 3-1 play is legal everywhere. In NCAA and OBR, the pitcher must disengage on his step to third before turning to throw (or feint) to first. In FED, he can step to third, remain on the rubber, wheel, and throw to first from the rubber.

10. Throwing to second is always legal if there's a runner there or a runner moving from first. Whether the pitcher is in the set or the wind-up is irrelevant.

15. There a two "catcher's balks." One occurs when he interferes with a runner coming home by stepping in front of the plate. Catcher interference, balk on pitcher. It's also illegal for him to leave the catcher's box before the time of the pitch (MLBUM interpretation) during an intentional walk - only. With a runner stealing, the catcher on a pitch-out can leave yesterday.

The others are more philosophical, except for (a) the 4-man rotation. Check PBUC for the correct mechanics; and (b) appeals with multiple runners. I've heard of appeals for a fourth and fifth advantagous out. I've yet to have someone construct a "reasonable" play where six outs were granted.

I'll leave the Zen questions to Roland. (grin)

[Edited by Carl Childress on Jul 28th, 2005 at 10:41 PM]