View Single Post
Old Tue Jul 26, 2005, 10:20am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Carl Childress
Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Hensley
Quote:
Originally posted by Carl Childress
1. The appeal was not legal. There's no procedure for such an "appeal." Appeals occur on illegal equipment and players, on batting-out-of-order, and on baserunning mistakes.
Please elaborate on appeal procedures for "illegal equipment and players." What rule code(s) include illegal equipment and players as appeal plays or procedures?
From the MLBUM: 8.6 CHECK-SWING APPEALS
The Casebook Comments to Official Baseball Rule 9.02(c) provide that the manager or catcher may request the plate umpire to ask a partner for help on a half-swing when the plate umpire calls the pitch a ball. The rule further states that appeals on a half-swing may only be made on a call of ball and when asked to appeal.

Also from the MLBUM: Any pitcher starting or entering the game wearing a colored glove must wear the same colored glove for the entire game. As provided in Official Baseball Rule 1.15, the pitcher's glove shall be uniform in color, including all stitching, lacing, and webbing. Upon appeal from the opposing manager, the Crew Chief shall cause a glove that does not meet this regulation to be removed from the game. A blatant or recurring violation should be dealt with immediately by the umpire.

The NFHS has many case plays dealing with illegal players. You are right that they don't use the word "appeal." They say that the illegal player is "discovered" and the plate umpire is "informed" of the illegality.

I can see how you were confused. Like many amateur umpires, you were thinking that "appeals" are only those covered by 7.10. I'm glad I had the chance to clear this up for you.

Added as an edit: Oh, I forgot: What is your opinion of the substance of my reply to Frank Drebin? (We know what you think about the semantics.) Do you agree the umpires acted improperly?

[Edited by Carl Childress on Jul 26th, 2005 at 11:24 AM]