View Single Post
Old Mon Jul 25, 2005, 03:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by U_of_I_Blue
I've never seen an umpire (except for slowpitch) without a chest protector on. Can you say stupid? It's hot yes, but I'd much rather be a little uncomfortable than get hit in the chest and have my heart stop. I can't believe any umpire would ever step behind a plate in a fastpitch game without full gear. Stupid if you ask me.

-Josh
Well, Josh, opinions are just like a$$holes. Every has one, and most of them stink.

Some day you may get out in the world and discover people don't always conform to your personal beliefs. What I find stupid is people who call others stupid for having a differing opinion. Your decision to wear a chest protector is certainly in the majority, but that doesn't give you the right to insult others.

I am 52 years old, have umpired fastpitch for 34 years, at reasonably high levels. I currently call NCAA Div I in addition to other levels of collegiate ball. In ASA I have worked two 18U Gold Nationals (including just last year), the Men's A, the Men's Masters 40+ (just two years ago), and will have a total of 17 ASA Nationals at the end of this year. Guess what, Josh. NO CHEST PROTECTOR, not in any ONE of those games in the last 34 years. I guess I am stupid, after making an adult decision that I am comfortable with at all times.

Same Georgia climate as JEL; yes, it was brutally hot, and I worked a 23U tournament. The heat isn't why, I just don't wear one.