View Single Post
Old Mon Jul 25, 2005, 11:48am
Official Forum Member

Re: Signals

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Apparently the NF is not going to use a new signal for this foul either. Did anyone else here see the Referee Magazine article on the new rules for this coming year?

All you are supposed to do is call a foul, signal the type of foul; point to the other end of the floor; indicate the spot for the designated spot throw-in. That is all that is it. No new signal will be used this year.

Peace
Well, speaking as one of those bumpkins south of I-80 it seem like there will be confusion as to communicating which type of foul we have, "offensive" or "defensive". Granted, I'm looking at it from a NCAA-W perspective, but their signal of the "punch" definitely conveys we are not shooting any bonus free throws. Any other signal conveys it wasn't an offensive foul. In the case of a NF foul, we could give a signal for a push, point to a spot OOB, and our partners not know what's happening until we get to the table and give the color of the offensive team. Even then, if it's a rebounding foul, there might be some confusion as to whether we are shooting the bonus or not. Granted, the new mechanic has us pointing the other direction, but I'm not sure that still effectively communicates "no shots". It will be interesting to see how that plays out this year.

(Used with permission.)