View Single Post
Old Mon Jul 25, 2005, 02:08am

...had this happen in a 14 y/o Pony League tournament game tonight. (Aside, I'm part of the Protest Committee and protests must be decided upon when lodged before a game can continue). I'm not sure if the following situation can be lodged as a protest. If it can, I know how I'd rule but I like to hear what the members think:

Halfway through the game, the home plate calls me over and asks me to watch a fan who is standing outside the fence but near the dugout. HP ump thinks that the fan is giving signals. Sure enough, he's flashing location (definitely) and pitch (possibly) to the catcher. After the inning, I concurred w/the HP ump, who quietly walked over to the coach and told him that if that guy wasn't a coach, it's time to move elsewhere.

OBR 9.01e (2) only allows an umpire to eject, "any spectator or other person not authorized to be on the playing field". Pony Tournament Rule #T-17 H states that, "Grievous individual misconduct, on the part of adult leaders or players, on or off the field, such as, but not limited to, fighting, drinking, publicly audible use of foul or abusive language, may result in the removal of an individual from further tournament play for the remainder of the tournament season." Unfortunately, these rules do not apply spectators. House tournament rules does allow an umpire to eject a fan and rules succession is: House Rules, then Pony Rules, then OBR.

So, my questions are:

1. can a spectator flash signals to a player w/out penalty?

2. if there is a penalty, what rule and penalty applies? I would like to have something more than OBR 9.01c, "Each umpire has authority to rule on any point not specifically covered in these rules."

3. is this something that an umpire can call or must he wait for a team to protest?

Thanks in advance for your consideration.