Thread: Patient Whistle
View Single Post
Old Fri Jul 22, 2005, 08:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Joe McCain
Using the above criteria, an example of a time I would most CERTAINLY call a foul no matter if the ball goes in or not would be: A1 dribble drives to the basket and just as A1 becomes airborn for the layup and is about to move past B1, B1 pokes A1 in the ribs with a finger or two.
You're setting up a dangerous precedent with this. I'm with Chuck, contact on this is VERY minor, and if you start calling it, be prepared to call all sorts of other little niggling touches, too. I'd have to be VERY sure that the shooter was harmed - isn't THAT more in line with "patient whistle"? Your take seems just the opposite.

Quote:
This can be tricky because sophisticated offensive players have been known to fake this particular foul....You can always tell when this has happened because you see the small poke to the ribs, and you watch while A1's whole body goes into a minor convulsion.
I've been reffing for almost 10 years and I've NEVER seen either of these things happen - especially the convulsions part.

Quote:
....so it is ESSENTIAL to have great position to be able to make this call.
You'd better be able to sell it, too. Because everyone else in the gym will be wondering what the hell you just called.