Thread: Patient Whistle
View Single Post
Old Thu Jul 21, 2005, 10:29am
Official Forum Member

I like all the comments presented but one thing I want to stress is the concept of consistency and bring attention to the POE on rough play. Particularly with respect to the amount of contact you deem to be harmless or not a "whistleable" offense.

Many times officials will allow levels of contact that do nothing but increase the level of physical play to a feverpitch. This is a result of simple poor judgement in what is deemed to be a foul. A patient whistle is one thing but passing on contact just because a player was able to play through it, did not end up on the floor, or the 3rd row is nonesense. Their was a POE on agressive and rough play!!!!

Many times I see guys that have to tighten up their calls in the second half or the 4th quarter just to regain control of the game because of all the calls they passed on. This lack of consistency brings undersireable consequences. It's not just a coach screaming for a call, or the howling from the fans but you cannot ignore the safety of the players. There was a reason for the POE and I surmise in large part due to the fact that too much contact is being ignored when it should be called.

I guess experience will have to be your guide in knowing WHAT is a foul and WHAT can/should be passed on.

[Edited by Robmoz on Jul 21st, 2005 at 11:40 AM]