Thread: Patient Whistle
View Single Post
Old Wed Jul 20, 2005, 12:18pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by jforgues
1) If you apply this rule, then doesn't it mean that you would never have a "and 1" scenario. If you wait for the play to unfold, the basket would be scored, therefore there's no way a player would've been at a disadvantage (with the exception of a hard foul of course).
Not at all Jean. The rules state that if the contact does not prevent a player from committing normal offensive movement. If the shot goes up and the follow thru or the landing is not affected by the contact, you should pass on the call and rule the contact incidental.

Quote:
Originally posted by jforgues
2) Aren't you asking from it from the fans and the coaches. You hear it all the time "late whistle ref ... you weren't sure were you???".
I do not care what the fans think. Most camps I have attended clearly want the officials to see the beginning, middle and end of a play. So if you call a hand check when a dribbler is going to the hole, you might be taking away a very easy basket if you just blow the whistle at the first sign of contact. I have even in plays like this asked the coach, "Do you want the basket or the foul on the sideline?" They always say they would rather have the basket.

Peace