Thread: Boycott?
View Single Post
Old Thu Sep 06, 2001, 02:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ibumgardner
We have all experienced a lack of respect while officiating? Do you not think that there is an overall lack of respect for the NFL officials? These guys have not received a pay raise in 6 years. In that same time frame, TV contracts have gone through the roof, players salaries have rocketed, and the owners are smiling all the way to the bank. We all (probably) have experienced a lack of respect while officiating in one way or the other. Now the referees have taken a stand, and have gotten locked out. Shouldn't the referees get their share (notice I didn't say fair) of the pot? Should we not stand up with them?
If I were an aspiring NFL referee, I don't think I would cross the line. Is there more that we should do for our presumably fellow NASO officials?
I don't know how you equate lack of respect and the money they earn. Unlike the other professional sports, the NFL made it clear their officials were not to be full-time, therefore why would they expect full-time salaries?. These guys all have other jobs, this is just a side gig for them. I don't think our game checks have increased as much as the NFL is offering in the last 6 years. 40% this year, let alone the 100% in three years the NFL is offering is probably a fair offer and more any other official is getting percentage wise. Technically it is a "lock-out", but it is not like they have a contract and the NFL is preventing them from working. There is an offer on the table and the officials refuse to sign it. I look at it this way, there are probably a lot of people who can be (in time) just as good as they are, and would do it for free or for less. Basic economic principle, the supply is greater than the demand, if they won't work for what the NFL is offering, someone else will.

Plus, I don't even want to get on the soapbox that just because the NFL is making X amount of money, they deserve a X percentage of it. They should get paid what is offered, like any other employment situaton, take it or leave it. If my boss is suddenly making 200% more would I like a raise, YES, but am I entitled to a certain amount? No. He took the risks if he wants to keep it that is his perogative.