View Single Post
Old Wed Jul 13, 2005, 11:33am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally posted by AtlUmpSteve
No, you aren't following. A foul tip can never be an uncaught or dropped third strike, no matter what happens afterwards; but it is the end of the pitch when it is tipped. The only thing a foul tip can become is caught by the catcher for a strike and a live ball, which may be on any count. If it is uncaught, or caught by someone other than the catcher, it is simply a foul ball, and a dead ball.

If the ball touches the bat or batter, the pitch ends, and the dropped third strike rule cannot be applied; period. They aren't caught, but they are not subject to the uncaught third strike rule either, because they are either fair batted balls, foul tips (meaning CAUGHT), or dead balls (all uncaught balls which hit the bat are either fair or foul, and all foul balls are dead balls, right?).
OK, thanks, sorry I misread.
Now I see you were saying it can only be a foul tip if it's caught, so it can't be caught and uncaught at the same time. If not caught, it's just a foul ball, so no advance by anyone.
Also, my premise above (foul tip is the same as a strike except for having to signal that it was not a foul ball) is ok.