View Single Post
Old Mon Jul 11, 2005, 12:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by refnrev
What would you have done as an official if you had sat on the sidelines and watched the game and seen what I did? Report it to the HS association or not?
If I am the official working that game, I want to know about it. And I have no problem with a spectator telling me: "Hey Ref, 21 Blue just called one of our kids a "bleepin' bleep." I will try to listen for such comments. If I hear it myself, then I can act within the rules of the game and the offending player (or coach) can suffer the consequences. If I don't hear it, then it is up to you to act after the game.

I called a T on a player last season for calling an opposing player a "stupid bit*ch." I heard it. Not many others in the gym did -- which is what the player wanted. When the coach asked me about the T and I told him what the player said, he told me that he has had problems with that player all season. He actually thanked me for for calling it.

I live in a largely Jewish community. The kids on the local high school teams (almost any sport) have been called the most vulgar, disgusting things possible -- because of their religious beliefs. It has taken many, many years to convince the players to tell the coach, who can then alert the officials. (The coach also is required to pass this along to the A.D. and school principal -- who are supposed to take it up with their coach. It's better today, but there are still problems with some teams -- especially on the road.)

We are a better society when individuals stand tall when they see something wrong. It's too easy to not get involved. I would applaud any step you take.