Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ChrisSportsFan
[B]
Quote:
Originally posted by drinkeii
I quit.

Apparently the following is true:

1) I know nothing about officiating.
2) I am not a good official for asking questions.
3) My idea of sportsmanship is not in line with what everyone else's is.
4) I am the only one who cares about trying to officiate a good game, and have a partner who does the same.
5) I am not responsible in any way for the actions of the players on the floor - only coachs are.
6) It is wrong to expect your partner to have a decent amount of training and experience relative to the level of game you are placed on with them.
7) Coaches should never ever presume that an official made a bad call, because officials never do.
8) Officials should never presume their partner made a bad call, because they never do.
9) Officials should never presume that they themselves made a bad call, because that never happens - every call or no-call an official makes is perfect and unquestionable.
10) This message board has a lot of people on it who feel that they are the only one who can possibly be right about a particular topic. Anyone who disagrees is a bad official.

Thank you for all of your opinions on the various topics that I have asked about. I appreciate the time and effort that you have put into them, althought not as much the personal attacks telling me I should confine my actions to coaching or that I am a bad official.

I shall confine my future commentary to asking questions as I have done in the past - when I hit a question one of my student officials asks that I cant answer, or I have an unusual situation come up, I will post it and look for answers. For that purpose, this message board is a valuable tool. Telling people they are bad officials is not a valid purpose of this board, when you have never seen that official work.

But I am tired of bringing up what I consider to be reasonable points, and having them shoved back in my face, often with sarcasm, saying that they are idealistic. I set high standards. I don't always meet them. But I have learned that the best way to get good at something is set high standards. I do it for myself, I do it for the students I teach, and for the players I coach. I try to teach them the right things to do, and the right way to do them. I do not allow them to play cheaply or dirtily during games, and pull them out if they do. I do expect them to be safe when they go out on the floor - maybe this is an unrealistic expectation. Accidents happen. Accidents are, for the most part, preventable. A lack of willingness to accept responsibility for something you have control over does not mean the responsibility isn't there - only that you see yourself as above it.

Ignorance is bliss. I'm rather un-blissful, because I am informed, not ignorant.

Again thanks for the opinions.

[Edited by drinkeii on Jul 6th, 2005 at 11:36 PM]

God never makes a mistake...
But she was wrong...

She made a huge mistake creating "drinkeii's" intellectual mind and it is extremely sad that you are a high school basketball official.