View Single Post
Old Sat Jul 09, 2005, 02:29pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Carl Childress
Quote:
Originally posted by Lawrence_Dorsey
Quote:
Originally posted by Carl Childress

That's the purpose of "publish or perish" at University. Let's say I teach a course in Joyce at the graduate school. I fill the little darlings with MY ideas about Joyce. But to gain promotion I must be willing to share those opinions with my peers; that is, with others who are experts in the Irish novelist.

Carl,

I have to jump in on this one. I've published in peer reviewed academic and professional scientific journals. I have a post-graduate degree and I have a sibling who is a Ph.D. tenure track professor at a major university. Your analogy, at least from my experience, between the academic world and what goes on at Officiating.com isn't exactly congruent. In the academic world, peer reviewed journals are the norm. That is to say that your peers review your work BEFORE it ever sees the light of day. There are always revisions, sometimes minor and sometimes significant. And yes there are outright rejections as a good friend of mine had happen to him with a paper he submitted. There are cases where a paper is published that invokes criticism and others in the field write rebuttals but again there has been a peer review (as well as an editior) before the original work is published.

"Publish or perish" does exist. In fact it is a major component of tenure evaluations and securing grant monies. However, there is a much more rigid review process involved than what goes on here.

Lawrence
Lawrence: You misunderstood me. Perhaps I didn't say it well. When I taught at University, I became quite familiar with what you call "peer review."

That technique has nothing to do with "why" an instructor must publish or remain just an instructor. The peer review I'm talking about comes from the subscribers to the academic journal in which his "opinion" will appear.

A teacher at University who is content merely to babble on with his grad students will remain an assistant professor for life. He can't expect promotion until he submits his thoughts to equals rather than students. They're a captive audience, and his ideas will resonate with them - at least until the semester grade is in.

Of course, the editorial board of a prestigious magazine is going to look carefully at any scholarly paper. Factual errors will not be permitted. Misquotes, unsupported premises, invalid conclusions: All those would be held against the paper.

But, failing that, any well-written treatise will make it into the magazine - where the final opinion will be delivered by the author's "peers."

I regret the misunderstanding.