Thread: Strikes & Outs
View Single Post
Old Thu Jul 07, 2005, 06:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by LilLeaguer
Quote:
Originally posted by GarthB
Were you ever in the military? If so, didn't you learn the importance of appearance there? If not, never mind.
No, I don't have a Marine's respect for the importance of appearance, but I have some respect.

In Tee's story, he sees "Smitty" with a ballbag for the bases, assumes he's a "Little League" umpire, and makes him take it off. Then he goes on the field with him, apparently without incident other than an annoying use of the indiclicker.

If removing the ball bag is so easy (it took one comment from Tee), and it immediately trasnforms Smitty into a Real Umpire(tm), why is it such a big deal?

-LL
Tee's experience was out of the norm. Amputating the ball bag from a Smitty is usually only the beginning.

Additionally, there are well dressed Smitty's. Most of the Smitty's in my area look great, until the first pitch, or first hit, or first play they have to be in position for and call. Not all Smitty's wear the name plate.

Tee wrote an entertaining article about one experience. Don't try to make a universal statement based on it.